join the new age movement on Facebook at www.facebook.com/everythingoldisnewageagain

Thursday, June 16, 2011

gratitude

a totally self-indulgent post tonight but just can't resist...

i'm absolutely oozing with warm fuzzies for the extraordinary women of winchester for whom i am so grateful and with whom i am incredibly blessed to call friends.

i spent the evening dining and cocktailing at my amazing friend and neighbor's housewarming, a gorgeous party to celebrate her new home, brimming with love and warmth.  lots of friends came out to raise a glass.  chatter and laughter filled the rooms, creating a buzzing energy.

glancing around the house, i was struck by the physical beauty of the ladies attending.  one hot mamma after an other.  but even more tantalizing was their collective inner beauty.  genuine, compassionate, bright, sweet, vulnerable, happy, generous, honest...  they wore it on their faces tonight, as they do everyday.  every one of them, in their own unique style.   

these girls (oh, i know the world would have us be called women now, but to us, we'll always be girls) have become my extended family.  they help me care for my kids, they give me hugs when i'm down, they make me dinner when i'm sick, they make  me laugh til i cry, they inspire me to do more than i thought i could do, they teach me how to live a better life, they listen, they share, they love, they trust.  these terrifically genuine and caring women invoke in me a feeling of belonging that i've never felt before.  and i'm grateful.

as i walked home reflecting on the evening, i took a moment to thank the universe for placing me here in this little town and surrounding me with such extraordinary people - people who have filled my life with such joy and peace and goodness.  i looked up at the night sky, illuminated by the light of the big, fat, shiny, happy moon.  it was beautiful.  its glow heightened my senses.  the clicking of my heels on the concrete filled my ears.  the cheering of friends in nearby houses amplified as the bruins skated their way to another stanley cup.  the crisp night air made the skin on my arms tingle.  the smell of mountain laurel filled my nose.  my heart felt light and my eyes opened wide.  my lips stretched into a wide grin.  i had to stop for a minute and take it all in.  i stared at the moon, framed between two huge oak trees, and watched it smile down on me.  i took a picture in my mind, memorizing the feeling of being alone but not lonely.

i planted my life here seven years ago and more than ever i feel the tremendous strength of my growing roots.  i feel alive here.  i feel hopeful.  i feel connected and inspired.  there is nowhere on earth i'd rather be.

i effing love this town. 

peace, love, gratitude,
v

5 comments:

  1. yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truthful & beautifully written V!!! SO much LOVE for you!!!!! xoxox Cree :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Beauty Of A Woman

    The beauty of a woman is not in the clothes she wears,
    The figure that she carries,
    Or the way she combs her hair.
    The beauty of a woman must be seen from in her eyes,
    Because that is the doorway to her heart,
    the place where love resides.
    The beauty of a woman is not in a facial mole,
    But true beauty in a woman is reflected in her soul.
    It is the caring that she lovingly gives,
    The passion that she shows,
    And the beauty of a woman
    With passing years -- only grows!

    ~Author Unknown~

    ReplyDelete
  4. love!! thank you for sharing!!! xox

    ReplyDelete